Krishnagiri district is one of the potential district for cultivation of horticultural crops. Total area under cultivation is 182888 ha. In that, Horticultural crops have been cultivated in about 80499 ha and the prominent crops under cultivation are Mango, Banana, Tomato, Beans, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Brinjal, Coriander, Potato, Carrot, Beetroot, Knol Khol, Turmeric, Rose, Gerbera ,Carnation, Jasmine and Chrysanthemum. Mango is the major crop grown in this district. The average rainfall for the district is 842mm per annum.
To increase the production, productivity and income of farmers, various schemes are being implemented through Department of Horticulture and Plantation crops. Hi-tech production techniques among farmers are being introduced by various schemes like polygreen house construction, shade net house, mulching, distribution of Vegetable portray seedlings of high yielding varieties and Grafted / Seedlings of fruit crops of high yielding varieties are being Implemented.
The major Schemes operated by the Department of Horticulture and Plantation crops are
1. Micro Irrigation scheme under Per Drop More Drop Component of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
2. Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture - National Horticulture Mission (NHM)
3. National Agricultural Development Programme (NADP)
a) Rainfed Area Development (RAD)
b) Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY)
4. National Bamboo Mission (NBM)
5. TNIAMP (IAMWARM II) Project (Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project - Horticulture)
6. Integrated Horticulture Development Scheme (IHDS)
7. Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
8. Collective Farming Scheme