Tirunelveli District, also called as Nellai is located in Southern part of Tamil Nadu with its headquarters at Tirunelveli. It covers an area of 3876.06 sq.km which includes 115.23 sq.km urban area. For Administration purpose, the District has been divided into 2 Revenue Divisions which is further divided into 8 Taluks, 9 Blocks, 31 Firkas, 199 Village Panchayats and 370 Revenue villages. The 9 blocks includes
1. Ambasamudram 6. Palayamkottai,
2. Cheranmahadevi 7. Pappakudi
3. Kalakadu 8. Radhapuram,
4. Manur 9. Valliyur.
The district, in general experiences tropical climate with minor changes. The average annual temperature is 29°C, whereas the hottest climate experiences from March to May with mercury reaching 38.5°C at the highest.The relative humidity, in general is between 55 and 65% in most parts of the district. Tirunelveli has rainfall in all seasons and benefits from both Northeast and Southwest monsoons.The average annual rainfall in Tirunelveli District is 752mm.
The soil condition of the district may be grouped into two main varieties namely red loam soil and black soil.Red sandy soil is also found. Red loam soil is more common in Ambasamudram, Cheranmahadevi, Kalakadu,Radhapuram and Valliyur blocks. Black soil is more common in Palayamkottai and Manur blocks. Red sandy soil is found in Ambasamudram,Nangneri and Radhapuram Blocks
The District has been an agricultural area throughout its history. The total area covered under Horticulture crops accounts to 17557 ha. Banana(4480 ha) and coconut(4793ha) are the major crops grown in Tirunelveli District.
The major schemes operated by the Department of Horticulture and Plantation crops in Tirunelveli District are
1. Pradhan Mantri Krishi SinchayeeYojanna (PMKSY)
2. Supplementary Water Management Activities (SWMA)
3. National Horticulture Mission (NHM)
4. National Agricultural Development Programme (NADP)
5. National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture – Rainfed Area Development (NMSA-RAD)
6. Integrated Horticulture Development Scheme (IHDS)
7. Pradhan Mantri Fasal BimaYojanna (PMFBY)
8. National Ayush Mission – Medicinal Plants (NAM_
9. Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project – Horticulture (TNIAMP)
10. Collective Farming