• State Horticulture Development Scheme is implemented with an objective to promote holistic growth of horticulture sector in Tamil Nadu.
• This scheme is 100% funded by Government of Tamil Nadu.
• This scheme is being implemented in all the districts of Tamil Nadu with a special focus on non NHM districts viz., Chengalpattu, Chennai, Kancheepuram, Karur, Mayiladuthurai, Nagapattinam, Namakkal, Thiruvallur, Thiruvannamalai, Thiruvarur, Thoothukudi, Virudhunagar.
• Based on the component implemented, assistance is being provided for the following components:
Cultivation and Area expansion of Horticultural crops in Non NHM Districts (fruits, vegetables, Spices, flower crops). Protected cultivation through establishment of Poly green houses and Shadenet in Non NHM Districts.
Post-harvest management of Horticulture produce through establishment of Low-cost Onion storage structures and Functional infrastructures in non NHM districts.
Viewing the importance of nutritional security of Tamil Nadu, homestead gardens is being encouragedin all the districts (except Nilgiris), by distribution of Vegetable seed kits, Vegetable Garden kits andNutritive Garden kits.
Special Techniques for Horticulture crops. (Staking/Trellis/Propping)
Additional income generation activities. (Mushroom units)
Crop incentive schemes for Vegetables.
Distributionof Horticulture Tools.Integrated Nutrient Management/Integrated Pest Management for betel vine (Betel growing Districts).
• For effective utilization of interspaces in coconut orchards, productivity and to generate sustainable income multi – tier cropping is encouraged among farmers in delta districts.